Friday, January 6, 2012

St. Ignatius, Part 1


Growing up in fantastically diverse Rogers Park on the north side of Chicago, my earliest memories are full of exotic patterns and colors, rich with different cultures and interpretations of the sacred. Though I am not Catholic I attended the grammar school attached to St. Ignatius Church for ten years, which involved regular attendance at Mass and, consequently, countless hours spent staring at the walls and ceilings. Undoubtedly that artwork constitutes my earliest and most influential source, from which I am still extracting material and inspiration.

From 1917 Souvenir Dedication Album
Oddly enough, I never learned much about the church itself while I was there. Lessons from the art centered around the actual depictions and we were never told about the artists or techniques. A shame, really, since I am now discovering a wealth of interesting information about the architect and contributing artists.

The church, designed by architect Henry J. Schlacks, was built between 1915 and 1917. Schlacks was a prominent church architect in Chicago, you can see more of his creations here.

The interior of the church is what I really want to get into, but there's a lot to it. For now, check out this Flickr set from Catholic Sanctuaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment